Here is what we learned (may be of interest to those with PCOS):
- Dr. J says that he hasn't used Clomid for over 6 years. He doesn't feel like it's reliable enough and he seems to think it is a waste of money. (We did MANY months of Clomid!)
- He also didn't agree with the use of Follisti.m (for me...because of the PCOS). His view is that it produces nice big follies (which definitely was the case for me), but that they are basically useless. Essentially, big in size but not good in quality. This makes sense since we always had such great looking follies (size-wise)...always producing 3 or more...yet never even an ounce of success.
Soooooooooooooooo....what are we doing? Not moving into IVF right away, which we're excited about! Instead, we are going to "pretend" that I have insulin-resistance, though we don't know for sure if that's true. So, he prescribed a form of glucophage called Glumetza. Plus, Dr. J is a big proponent of a low amylose diet, so I have started that. What is it, you ask? Well...here are the basic guidelines for it:
- Avoid all simple sugars such as candy, sodas, cakes, pies, ice cream, etc. (Basically, everything that I love!) These are almost pure forms of glucose.
- Avoid vegetables that grown underground (hello...potatoes!!??!), bananas, and foods enriched with maltodextrins or corn syrup.
- Avoid wheat, rice, rye, barley, and oats.
- Eat a minimum of 3 servings each of above-ground vegetables and fruits daily.
- Eat at least 6 ounces of protein every day.
Sounds like a TON of fun, huh?!!? Especially for a girl who craaaaves pasta, bread and ice cream. And chocolate. Yeah...I thought I was going to absolutely die. But, guess what? It's not all that bad! Seriously.
The good news is that this diet, combined with the meds, typically results in 1.5 lbs. of weight loss per week and up to 10 pounds a month! I can already attest to this, as I am 5 days in and have lost 5 pounds already!
For the sake of not having a mile long post, I will write more about the diet another time. But for now, we're doing this for 3 months. At that time, we will see what my cysts look like (hopefully they have reduced in number) and he said that he would not be surprised if we don't need any other treatments, but if we do, we'll discuss our options at that time. I am so excited!!!


7 comments:
Pondering the diet...I've never done it, but that's basically South Beach, right? Or Atkins? Low-carb, anyway. I would be convinced it would cause a person to be...too regular (also, I've never heard of being warned off rye, rice, and barley!).
So here's my question. What does the diet target? I mean, low amylose (I know amylase is an enzyme that breaks down carbohydrates, so I think I know what that means), what does that actually DO? Does too much amylose cause...too much testosterone? Poor circulation? Miscarriage? I'd be really interested to know what the rationale is.
Actually, I have another question - wouldn't that make you extremely, er, regular?
heh heh...apparently, I hadn't forgotten my other question - guess I found that one particularly interesting!
I have PCOS/IR and I'm currently trying to get my weight/blood sugar levels back on track through diet. I usually do South Beach and that tends to work well for me, but I've never heard of that type of glucophage. I'll have to do some research on it to see what's different about it, because typical Glucophage makes me sick, sick, sick, even when I follow my diet to a T. Thanks for the info!
ICLW
Glad you got some answers! I hope things work out for you!! (((HUGS)))
Tammy
ICLW
Hi! It's nice to meet you! I am stopping by as part of IComLeavWe: June. Good luck with this new doc! I can't wait to read more about you! mommysomeday@charter.net
Sounds like you have a solid plan to move forward. This new RE sounds great! LOL at the comment about finding fish in Indiana! I live in MN and it is the same here. I think tha tis why I haven't really gotten into eating fish. I know it is healthy for you, but there is only so much walleye I can eat.
Katie
ICLW
I am so glad you've found a RE you can put your faith in. Trusting your RE is a must!
Good luck with your dieting and congrats on the 5 pounds. Awesome!
ICLW
Post a Comment