Friday, June 19, 2009

more on my new diet

Hey misfit!

Sorry it's taken me a few days to get back to you on your questions. As an update, I'm 11 days into the new diet and still have yet to cheat once! I'm pretty proud of myself, especially after a huge going away party with the best looking cupcakes EVER this morning!

As the "being too regular" goes, yes...you're right. To an extent. The nice thing is that I'm pretty sure you will be miserable if you cheat. So it is some nice motivation. So that keeps you to eating lots of fruits and veggies. At first I was nervous that I might get...er, stopped up, if you will! I can't normally eat too much cheese and with this, I eat a ton. That, combined with the fact that I can't really eat any typically fiberous foods (I used to eat Fiber One bars a lot, as well as Mini Wheats and a lot of other fiber-full foods). So...to be frank, I think things are pretty good in the digestive department! I was sure to taper up on pills and usually try to be close to home (or a hotel room, as I was traveling a lot for work recently) when I go up a dose, but really, it's not too bad.

And as for what the diet targets, I obviously don't say it as well as my doctor, so HERE is a link to his site...if you click on the "download PDF" link, you can read a TON of information about it. But the long and short of it seems to be that he suspects some amount of insulin resistance in any patient with PCOS. He said it's rare to even test anymore because he just assumes that we have it to some extent. Because of that, he says that bread, pasta, and all of the other "off limits" things basically turn immediately into glucose in our systems. This (I think) causes an increase in many male hormones and doesn't allow for enough of the female hormones that we need. This doesn't allow our follies to develop like they should, so like I mentioned last time, drugs like Follist.im will, indeed, make the follies bigger but they won't be of the quality that they should be.

So far, I am feeling pretty good about things! I have found a few "tricks" for my own chocolate-and-sweet-obsessed mind. I use some add-in packets for water that make me feel like I'm having a treat, I eat a lot of Trader Joe's organic trail mix with nuts and cranberries, I am loving apples with natural (no artificial sugar added) peanut butter becaus it feels like a sweet treat. Surprisingly, eating out isn't too bad either. We're working on fixing more fish...but that's harder to do when you live in Indiana! If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask!

19 comments:

the misfit said...

Delighted to hear it's going well! I do find that if I'm eating high-quality food, I don't feel like I'm starving myself for lack of Doritos and Reeses. I'm mentally gearing myself up to try this - my DH said he'd be willing to in about a month, which gives us time to eat all the potatoes :). I don't have PCOS and have no reason to believe I'm insulin-resistant, but my DH is hypoglycemic and I think it would just be so much healthier for both of us. (And might improve my digestion?)

Anyway, I'm excited to hear about your discipline and will send word when I am jumping in too!

Anonymous said...

Cool thanks for explaining! How much have you lost so far?I'm on the weight watchers diet along with avoiding artificial sweetners. I'm trying to do the 30 day shred also.

In Due Time said...

Interesting. I have PCOS so this was a nice read (as was the previous post!) Thanks for sharing.

Now, If you'll excuse me, I've got to sheepishly finish my coke I just opened before clicking over to your blog. LOL

Clare said...

Good luck with the diet - sounds like it's going well! Gonna try that apple and peanut butter snack, sounds delicious!

Happy ICLW!

..al said...

Oh wow! I have a chocolate obsessed mind as well..I am glad at your determination!


*ICLW*

Wishing 4 One said...

You are so determined and very strong and sounds like you really feel good! Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing this. But oh how I love carbs, would be insane for me....

Unknown said...

Bowing down to you- I am awful at diets! Good luck continuing!

ICLW

Two Shorten the Road said...

Great job on your diet! I backslid on my general weightloss diet this week and gained a half-pound. I'm impressed that you haven't cheated once. :)

ICLW

Alana said...

Congrats to you---not cheating once on your diet is very impressive!

Great determination! :)

*ICLW*

Beautiful Mess said...

Happy ICLW! you are a very strong willed woman! I'm not sure I could have not eating one of those cupcakes. Glad your new diet/lifestyle change is working out for you. Keep it up, you're an inspiration!
*HUGS*

Anonymous said...

ICLW ~ thanks for the site referral, i've read some already and it looks really helpful. i'm also a chocoholic...your determination is so admirable.

Liv said...

Great job with your progress, that's fantastic.

I don't have PCOS, but I'll have to keep this in mind and direct anyone else going through this to your most facinating posts!

ICLW

The Joye of Teaching said...

You are inspirational. I also PCOS and hope to share some of your dieting strength. Thanks for the info.
*ICLW*

Jennifer said...

Congrats on your progress so far! And thanks for posting the link. I also have PCOS, and am very interested to read it. (ICLW)

Echloe said...

I wish I could be as dedicated as you. My only good weight loss efforts happened before my wedding. Now I'm so unmotivated. So good for you. I'll have to come back here and see how your diet is working out.

ICLW

Melissa G said...

Congratulations on being so exemplary with your diet. You already have more will power than I do! I didn't realize they had Trader Joe's in your parts. (I'm in California) I love their trail mix too! I hope you start to see some big improvements with your PCOS from your new diet. Good Luck!

ICLW

daega99 said...

All the best with the diet. I've been seeing a nutritionist and getting regular has been interesting. Healthy eating is definitely a lifestyle change!

ICLW #31

LupronGirl said...

You're an inspiration! Great post. *ICLW*

Serendipity said...

I'm a pcos gal and my hubby has low count, I attribute my miracle while waiting for IVF pregnancy to changing my diet to one like yours and drinking grapefruit juice. I wish you the very best of luck with this and hope you get a BFP before having to deal with the big guns of IVF!

~ICLW