Monday, January 4, 2010

back on the saddle

Okay, so that picture isn't technically of me on a saddle, but it's the closest thing I have!
Today I am back to work (clearly, working hard). The initial plan was to start back up on my diet after the first of the year...as in JAN 1. J is doing it, too. But then we both realized that we had 3 more days off and why not just enjoy the rest of our weekend. So we did.
Oh, did we. Have you ever watched Interventio.n when the addict just wants to go snort a bunch of coke before going to treatment? Yeah, that would pretty much sum me up over the past few days. Except take out the coke and insert sweet tea, cinnabons, starbucks, mini snickers bars, ice cream, etc. You get the idea...but TODAY? Today I begin.
It actually feels good. My body needs to detox. So, to recap, my RE has a somewhat unique view of PCOS. Only his view is FREAKING GENIUS and resulted in my ovulating on my own for the first time last year in our nearly 3 years of trying (at the time), and also resulted in our pgcy, which didn't end so well, but I have so much hope. I am 100% certain that this diet along with the glumetza was the reason for our BFP. You can read more about the reasoning behind his opinions HERE and HERE but the long and short of it is that he believes all PCOS patients have a form of insulin resistance, which results in carbs, sugar, etc. turning directly into glucose (sugar) in the body. This only fuels the cysts. By doing this complete detox, my cysts were much smaller and I was able to actually ovulate!

The rules are:
  • No sugar
  • No carbs
  • No vegetables that are grown underground
  • No wheat, rice, barley, rye or oats

So the rules are pretty simple, it's just following them that's a pain in the ass. But, in the end, a successful and healthy pregnancy will be so worth it! Not to mention, I lost weight quickly and easily when I was doing the diet consistently! I am all for another 20 pounds, maybe even 25! I think I can easily do that in 2 months, especially since I'm planning on getting a good workout in several times a week.

I can't tell you how excited I am to get started! Winter is a great time for this diet because soups and stews are easy, filling and delicious. I snack a ton throughout the day. (Already today...it's 11...I have had a huge apple, some cheese, some soy nuts and about 20 ounces of water. For lunch, I'll have veggie soup (yes, there will be corn, carrots and maybe a few potatoes, but those kinds of bends in the rules are okay...a king sized candy bar, not so much!), peaches and cottage cheese and a string cheese. For my mid-afternoon snack, I'm going to have some almonds, an orange and another piece of cheese if needed.

Sooooo excited! I will be reporting on my weight loss. I'm looking forward to 8-10 pounds in the next week!

This isn't a resolution, by the way. I vowed not to do any this year because I never follow through. This is making decisions to get me closer to a real living breathing baby!

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

I think it sounds like a great plan. And I really like that it isn't a resolution but a change in your life. :) Good luck, I know you can do it.

Megs said...

Good luck with the diet again! It sounds like a great plan :) I am sure you will do awesome with it again!