Monday, August 4, 2008

just waiting for it...

So I have a friend who just got engaged. She got divorced about 6 months ago (officially, probably 3 months ago), started dating a guy and got engaged almost 2 weeks ago. I'm actually really thrilled for her because the guy seems super nice and who am I to judge...I got engaged to J after dating for only 3 months! When you know, you know! But I wouldn't have thought it a bad idea for her to be single for a while...just to be safe.

So anyway, she is now engaged and they're thinking of a New Year's Eve wedding. Pretty cool, I think! But the problem comes when I start to think of them, newly married and planning to get pregnant. I've said all along that it seems the trick to getting pregnant is simply not wanting to get pregnant! I have stopped counting the number of friends/family members that I have who have said they don't ever want children, they're done having children, they are waiting to have children, etc., who end up pregnant like *THAT*! Well, this particular friend has, in the 4 or so years that I have known her, said repeatedly that she doesn't like kids, never wants kids, and she enjoys the freedom of not ever considering children. So, natch, she will get knocked up in a heartbeat. Because now, the two of them together have changed her mind. He sent out one of those questionairre things today and one of the questions was asking what he'd be doing in 10 years and he said that he would have a 9-year old. That tells me that they plan to start immediately after getting married.

And since she has always said she doesn't want kids, that means that they'll likely be pregnant by, oh, January 2nd. I can't help but be selfish and think about how hard that is going to be for me. She's not maternal in any way. I just really hope that I'm pg, too. I think it'll sting less. So I've got 5 months to get myself knocked up or I'm doomed!! Maybe this will help, based on my theory:

I don't want kids. I never have. I hate kids. Kids suck. Babies suck. Pregnancy would suck. I enjoy my freedom.



Yeah, right. But I'll try anything at this point!

No comments: