Tuesday, March 25, 2008

call me donatello

teenage mutant ninja turtle
It appears that I am a mutant. J and I decided that if I ever get pregnant, we might have to call the baby a little turtle, since it's mommy is a certified teenage mutant ninja turtle. I only wish that things were as active and upbeat as the little guy above! I had my HSG this morning to find that my tubes are wide open, but I have a septum on my uterus. I had never heard of this, but it is apparently pretty common and not an incredibly huge deal. The bad thing is that we've cancelled the IUI for this month and I will have the surgery (is it called a laproscopy?) to remove the septum next month. I will have to start a BCP on CD 3 next month, which is crazy because I never thought I'd ever take one again. But I'm glad to have found it. The RE said that the real risk with having a septum isn't in getting pregnant, it is in remaining pregnant and doing so to full term. In other words, my chances of a miscarriage go from about 15% (which is normal) to anywhere from 25-80%. And the chances of a pre-term delivery or the inability of the uterus to expand to the required size (especially in the instance of multiples) also increase quite a bit. Basically, he said we can try on our own this month and if it happens, he won't be overly concerned, but he will be cautious. And he knows that we will worry the entire pregnancy.
As for the HSG itself, it sucked balls. Why can't I just be one of the lucky girls who isn't in horrific pain by simple procedures such as sticking the IUI cath in? For me, it hurts from the moment they put the foreceps in. Only it just got worse today! It felt like the worst menstrual cramps that I have ever experienced. Luckily, it's such a quick procedure and the major pain only lasted a few minutes. Then I had some cramping for about an hour straight, but nothing unbearable. Now I get a little pang every few minutes, but again, nothing unbearable. He mentioned that I might have to do another HSG after the surgery which I am crossing my fingers WON'T be the case!
So that's where we stand. Another cycle down the drain. And we, stupidly, cancelled the fun part of our trip to DC. That bums me out. I don't know if insurance will cover this procedure, though, so I should probably be thankful that we are saving a little money by not having J go on the trip with me.

No comments: