Wednesday, March 19, 2008

forge ahead & pricks and pokes

Onto the next cycle. I talked to the nurse today and she said that the RE had initially noted that he wanted to do just 2 Clomid cycles and 2 IUI cycles. If those didn't work, he wanted to get more aggressive. I like an aggressive doc! So since we've had 2 failed Clomid cycles, 1 of which was IUI, she gave me two options:
1. Go ahead with one more Clomid+Trigger+IUI Cycle.
2. Meet with the doc to discuss further options.

Hmmmmm. Well, since today is CD 3 and the entire reason I had called her was to get an rx for the Clomid that I am supposed to start tonight, I decided to go ahead with a second IUI cycle. I didn't want to waste this cycle. I haven't been temping and if I had, I may have been tempted to just wait this cycle out to see if I happen to O on my own, but that's not an option. So we planned another IUI.

One problem. I have a business trip to DC on March 31. J and I had planned to fly out that Friday to spend the weekend being tourists. That would be Friday, the 28th. My u/s is scheduled for 8 am on that Friday, making IUI likely on Sunday, the 30th. Obviously that doesn't work if I'm not in the state. So now we have to make the decision as to whether we cancel our trip or just decide to go with it and do TI this cycle along with Clomid+Trigger. I'm still up in the air, because it could still be likely that my follies won't be mature enough and the IUI would have to be the 31st or 1st anyway, in which case we're out of luck because I have to be in DC no matter what. I guess I will have to wait till J gets home and we can think it through.

I also got my HSG scheduled. I'm pretty excited for that since they say that it makes you extra fertile for a couple months. Lord knows we need all the help we can get. So that's next Tuesday, the 25th. What a crazy week next week is going to be!

Now, for a POLL: Afor the 'pricks and pokes' part, I am curious to hear any accupuncture stories. I'm thinking about trying it, but insurance doesn't cover anything, so I am wondering if anyone can share their experiences. Thanks!!
  • How much does it cost you (and for what treatments)?
  • Do you get it specifically for IF?
  • Experiences? Good and Bad!

12 comments:

alicia said...

I have used accupucture for IF. I found one that specifically specilizis in IF. She is wonderful. I payed $100 for our first session and then aroudn $60 for every other session. I went once a week for the first few months then every other week for a few months and now I go monthly or whenever I can. It really helped balance out my cycles and get things flowing right within me. It is so relaxing too. I have had such a great experience doing it! I would recommend it to anyone. Just do your research and make sure they are really trying to help you get PG! Good luck!

Soapchick said...

I pay $85 per session and my acupuncturist specializes in fertility. That includes a one hour session - first 5 minutes talking, then 40 minutes of acupuncture, electro-stimulation of ovaries if it is before ovulation, then 10-15 of abdominal massage and cranial massage. I go 2 to 3 times per month. I've been going since last July. I'm not pregnant yet, but that is because we have male factor issues. We are getting ready to do round 2 of IVF in about a week so I'll be curious to see if it has helped my egg quality. Oh and yes it is very relaxing.

Shinejil said...

I go to a general acupuncturist, and pay far less than the ladies above. It has helped regulate my cycles, nearly eliminating some troubling spotting I had in my LP. My EWCM returned, my periods got lighter and shorter, in general, everything improved. It also helped me kick coffee and a few other less than ideal habits.

I'm not pregnant yet, but it definitely helped me get healthier. Give it a whirl. Make sure you like and trust your practitioner, just as you want to feel safe in your doctor's care. If you don't like what you're hearing or you feel your concerns aren't met, find someone else.

Stephanie said...

I've had a somewhat negative experience. My acupuncturist claimed to be well versed in IF treatment but it didn't do a thing for me. I have endometriosis with painful & (oddly) short periods.

He attempted to get them to a normal 4-5 days with no pain but was unsuccessful. I saw him twice a week and took liquid herbs twice a day. I tried this for 5 months, but it was becoming too expensive to continue for no results. I also didn't find it at all relaxing, but that's just me. Maybe if massage was incorporated, it would have been different.

I hope you have better results if you pursue acupuncture, I know a lot of women believe it helps.

Joy said...

1. First visit was 95 (and took 2+ hours.) Every visit thereafter- $50.
2. Yes. She specializes specifically in IF & reproduction issues.
3. I love it and her. My 2nd appointment was a little muddled because she opened her own practice and I went to the old one, so I saw someone else. I did NOT like him at ALL, though. When she did her thing I was always very relaxed and comfortable. With him, I felt like I was going to come out of my skin.
I got pregnant this last time even with only 4 million sperm at our IUI and after having 2 miscarriages, I'm now 16w pregnant, so hopefully it did the trick.

Barb said...

It seemed to give me a little more energy and relaxation a few times.. certain needle spots. (I loved the sides of my neck). Most of the needles didn't hurt. Once in a while she'd hit near a nerve and it would feel a bit like it feels if your finger accidentally touches the light bulb socket. Some needles were a smidgen annoying. Some I didn't feel at all, but relaxed me when they went in. She never got the herbs just right for me because she got them too strong at first and I had a kind of hyper/angry reaction.

She IS the only one though who helped stop my bleeding and heavy pain that lasted a month after my endo biopsy. She helped clear it up in a week and a half. She was also WAY more into my overall health.

You have to get a GOOD one, well versed in IF. Ask for recs in your area.

As for cost.. that's why I had to stop before I saw much improvement. It was $75/session ($68 with the special payment plan if you promise to do 10), plus herbs were $30 for a 2wk supply.. and if I happened to run out a little early b/c the particulate was lighter or something? You guessed it.. another $30.

Sucky. GL though!

nancy said...

Ugh - it sucks to get a cycle conflict like that. I had kind of the same thing happen with one of my IUI cycles - I was going to be out of town for a few days around when insemination could take place, so I cancelled the cycle. It broke my heart, but I couldn't imagine going through it all just to not be able to get the insemination. BUT .. you could just have timed sex - as the actual insemination doesn't increase chances much. If there is nothing "wrong" with the sperm, sex is almost as good as the IUI anywho.

Good luck for your HSG! I've had 4 of them and they are a piece of cake. It hurt pretty bad, but only for a few moments. I hope it all goes well for you!

Acupuncture - I am doing it. Cost is $625 for an IVF support cycle which is 11 sessions. 9 before retrieval and the last two right before and after transfer.

Cruella said...

I hated my first accupuncture experience..could be because therapist was on a personal phone call during my session! I had it for IVF- 100 before the transfer/after. I am pregnant with twins and believe it helped. I will say that even that moron who worked in a fertility clinic and had adopted said "So you've adopted- guess you did plan B before plan A" URGH so even though I don't believe in her- it worked:)
KSW

Helen said...

I had acupuncture specifically for my 5th round of IVF. It was advised to go for a few months before, to regulate the cycle. I'd go once a week at £50 a pop (about $100 USD). The weekend before egg retrieval, you go about 4 times. I found it very relaxing and didn't hurt me a bit.

I'm not saying it's what caused the success, but finally on my 5th round of IVF something worked, and I have twins who are nearly 6 months old. I figured: Couldn't hurt. It didn't.

Good luck!

becoming-mom said...

I loved my accupuncturist, but wow, was she EXPENSIVE!

1) cost $250 for first appointment, $125 each appointment after

2) She specializes in IF

3) Experience: Got PG first cycle after starting accupuncture!
But it was also my first cycle on injectables AND I had my HSG that same cycle, so its hard to pinpoint which of these things made THE difference.

Anonymous said...

I have gone to an acupuncturist who also does Chinese medicine and massage. I think the massage actually helps the most= most relaxing. One of my problems is stress. I have not done IVF but have been TTC for a long time, and while the acupuncture didn't get me preg., the acupuncturist was also quite knowledgeable about my cycles and helped me figure out stuff the docs didn't even know!
Mine is $60/session.
I think any effects are not dramatic, but it can help with overall stress/health. I know it's helped me with allergies. I would say it's worth it if you feel good about it, but because it is another set of needles in you, don't do it if you find when you try it you don't like it.
MLR

Jill said...

Hey girl. I'm thinking about accupuncture as well right now. Just coming off failed IVF#1, I'm willing to try anything to help me be successful next cycle. GL!