Friday, January 25, 2008

that went well!

Here's how my office works: My boss is an AVP. She is not in my building on campus and I don't see much of her except for our monthly meetings and whatever other Advancement meetings that there are. But in my office, there's me and another DoD, a Dir. of Alumni Relations, and we have 3 ladies on support staff. I've contemplated what to do about divulging my IF issues because a.) it means that I'm officially outing myself as having a problem which is sometimes hard to admit in and of itself, and b.) I have only been here for 3 months and I don't want anyone to think that I'm here short term or something like that. After all, realistically, it could still be another 3 years before I get lucky, not to mention that I fully plan on coming back to work! So there was a dilemma in who I should tell, and how much I should tell them. The DoA and I have really hit it off and become pretty close. She's also trying and she's in her late 30's, so we're in similar boats (though I'm not in my late 30's). So she knows everything.
I decided that I should tell my lead support staff lady (Deb) since I'm starting Clomid tonight and have no idea how the s/e will be. Deb is my right arm. She plans my travel, she is a wealth of knowledge and she basically makes my job easy! But I don't want the girls in my office to wonder why I have so many dr. appointments (the support staff are all sweet older women who worry), not to mention that we get an ungodly amount of sick time, so if I'm not feeling up to par and if I don't have any meetings, then I'm going to have no problem calling in sick.

So I decided not to tell my boss, at least for now. But I told Deb. I was nervous to do it, but I just felt that it had to be done. I knew she'd be sweet about it, but she was really supportive and adorable. She got a little giddy at the thought of a baby and asked a lot of questions about how I am doing and what would happen. So now I feel better. Especially if I do have to take some time off. I know she'll be really supportive of that.

Phew, let's hope it's that easy when I eventually do have to tell my boss!

No comments: