Saturday, February 2, 2008

baby showers

I went to a baby shower today. My best friend from high school's older sister's baby shower. (Got that?) She's a great friend and going to be an amazing mom. I had a good time, really. I loved watching her belly bounce when she laughed and I loved looking at all the baby goods. Thinking about whether any of those things will ever fill my house. I tried not to think too much because I wanted to stay upbeat and excited. And I did. I didn't have to fight tears or even think about it, really. I think that's because I'm so excited for her and I can't wait to see her as a mom. The hard part was knowing that we started trying before they did and now they are preparing to open their house to this little miracle. That was tough. The other hard part was after I left and allowed myself to envision our own house filled with all kinds of baby related things. I helped take gifts back to their house so I could see their nursery, so it was hard not to imagine how we would paint a nursery. All that being said, I did have fun and am really excited to meet the baby.
Two things I DID learn, however:
1.) I definitely want to find out the sex of my baby if I ever get pg. I hated trying to buy off of a registry filled with yellow and green. I'll be all boy or all girl, no either/or stuff for me! I also didn't get excited about watching her open a bunch of cream sheets, yellow onesies and green bibs. It's funner to shop knowing what the baby is, and I think it'll be even funner to PLAN if I know what the baby is!
2.) People really don't have a clue. It's not their fault at all, I was the same way before realizing we had problems with IF. But there were so many women at the shower who clearly took things so for granted. One person mentioned a couple that they knew who were trying to get pg and having a hard time, and I heard the dreaded, "They just need to quit thinking about it and it'll happen." Great advice. And another girl just got married and someone asked her when she wanted to start trying and she gave such a clear, consise, no-questions-asked kind of answer. I used to be that way. All throughout our engagement, when people asked, I'd say that we were going to start immediately having children so I would be done by the time I was 30. As 28 quickly approaches, I realize that is not going to happen.
Well, that's that. I truly had a good time and loved watching her. I can't wait until I can be surrounded by people who are overjoyed at the thought of MY baby coming into this world. It's amazing to see the joy and excitement that a baby brings to everyone at a shower.

No comments: